On December 15, 2020, flugelhorn and trumpet player Ack van Rooyen received the Buma Boy Edgar Award 2020 in TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht. Jazz legend Ack van Rooyen played together with the renowned Metropole Orchestra. The most important Dutch award for jazz and improvised music also consists of the bronze sculpture “John Coltrane” by Jan Wolkers and a cash prize of € 12,500.
Ack van Rooyen – flugelhorn
Metropole Orchestra, conductor Wayne Marshall
The Buma Boy Edgar Award 2020 was given to Ack van Rooyen by Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands.
Presenter: Co de Kloet
Presenting album “Then & Now” and flowers: trumpeter Ian Cleaver
1. The Ballad of the Sad Young Man: composer Frances Landesman / arr. Jerry van Rooyen
2. Dear Old Stockholm: Swedish Folk song / arr. Jerry van Rooyen, solist: Maxim Le Minter – alto oboe
3. The Things We Did Last Summer: composer Jule Styne / arr. Henk Meutgeert
4. No Parangolé Do Samba: composer/arr. Francis Hime, solist: Robinson Khoury – trombone
5. As we walk hand in hand: composer Jerry van Rooyen / arr. Henk Meutgeert
6. Elegant People: composer Wayne Shorter / arr. Vince Mendoza, solist: Robinson Khoury – trombone, Leo Janssen – tenor saxophone
7. When you’re smiling: composers Larry Shay, Mark Fisher and Joe Goodwin / arr. Jerry van Rooyen
Below an impression of the ceremony